Thursday, August 03, 2006

Movies in Real Life Part III

Apocalypto

"Apocalypto" is Mad Mel Gibson's new film dealing with the ancient Mayan culture and their attempt to stave off their perceived impending apocalypse by offering the gods a human sacrifice. Their choice of sacrifice, like most sane humans, decides to go on the run and spends most of the movie trying to elude his captors.

TONIGHT, Thursday, August 3rd at 9:00 PM, The History Channel will air a program called "Decoding the Past: MAYAN DOOMSDAY PROPHECY". It will discuss the Mayans' advanced knowledge of astronomy, architecture, and mathematics and how they used it to predict future events in the cosmos, such as when certain planets line up and how often the sun aligns itself in the center of the Milky Way galaxy.

Allegedly, the Mayans were able to predict when an allignment known as "procession", where the Earth completes a wobble around its axis at the same time the sun is in the center of the galaxy, would occur. That date is what the Mayans call Doomsday, the end of the world.

The date?

December 21, 2012.

That's right. My freaking BIRTHDAY. I always knew turning 30 would start the downward slide into adulthood. Now I have proof that turning 31 will be the end of all things.

And I used to think having my birthday on the winter solstace was cool.

"Apocalypto"s IMDB page

Program Summary of "MAYAN DOOMSDAY PROPHECY"

--Cbake

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read about Apocolypto in a magazine. Looks awesome. And then that weirdo Mayan doomsday thing... Hey, you'll be 30! Haha, I'll be 20 nah nah nah nah boo boo! I'll be young and hot and you'll probably be old and turing 30! (or 31?) I have a birthday on the vernal exquenox, so I know how it is to have a season b-day.

xoxo Allie

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AM OFFENDED 30 IS OLD; I'M ON THE OTHER SIDE OF 40 AND STILL SIZZLIN'...

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know all this talk has got me all paranoid. We're gonna be hanging out - as per ususal and then bam! Happy Birthday/Deathday.... stressin' me out dude. But at least I'll never have to hit 31.... haha

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home