Monday, July 30, 2007

"Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston..."

"... and so never more shall we see you again."
--JAWS

CANADA TRIP DAY 5

When last I left you, dear readers, my dad and I had eaten at the Shoe Shop in Halifax and were about to wake up early the next morning to drive to Boston. I'll tell you about that trip, but first, here are those pictures from Nova Scotia I promised (reference my Shoe Shop story below).



Dad in downtown Halifax



Lighthouse Island with ships


Apartments on the waterfront


Starfish. Also saw lots of jellyfish around the waterfront.


Me thinking my camera is broken, when in reality my dad has just miraculously fixed it.



Inside the Shoe Shop

The Seahorse Tavern downstairs.



Citadel Hill, the highest point in Halifax I believe.

The bridge to and from the city (currently leaving).

Crossing into Maine was such a change from driving in Canada. After miles of untouched wilderness and long stretches of road where no other soul dared to drive, we had a mini-culture shock to see suburbs, and cars, and, well, trash littering the road. Ah yes; this is America. And yet, still no moosen to be seen. Huge disappointment.

After 15 hrs of solid driving, we finally made it to Beantown. A friend of mine from college, Casey Hart, works for Harvard sports. I gave him a call when we rolled in, and we met him for dinner at the oldest continuously operated restaurant in the entire COUNTRY, the Union Oyster House (check the website for menus, pictures, and its interesting history- http://www.unionoysterhouse.com ). Even though he's lived in Boston for two years, this was to be Casey's first time inside.

We took a cab to the Oyster House, and I had my first Boston attitude experience, as our cabbie tossed out curse words left and right like pennies he had no use for. He was a funny guy, and strangely enough the more we talked, the more I noticed myself adapting his accent into my own voice. I guess I was developing a connection between us.

The restaurant sits in a section of town where the roads are made of cobblestone and two streets meet so that one building sits at a V shape in between the two. It looked very old. Sitting at the bar and having a drink felt surreal, as did moving upstairs, walking between wooden booths and old fireplaces; I could feel a real sense that I was surrounded by history. You could just imagine seeing Benjamin Franklin or Thomas Jefferson (had they still been alive at the restaurant's opening) eating in a booth nearby, toasting their beers to America's early success.




In fact, John F. Kennedy ate at the place so much he had his own favorite booth that is still remembered today. American statesman Daniel Webster, a loyal customer, came often to drink brandy and eat oysters at the original oval-shaped bar downstairs. More interesting trivia for you: the toothpick was first introduced at the Union Oyster House.

Being in Boston, I felt it'd be a shame to not have a real New England dinner, so I ordered the SHORE DINNER. This came with a delicious bowl of clam chowder (I daresay the best I've ever had), a net of untouched mussels (no sauce or seasoning), native corn on the cob, red bliss potatoes, and a full, medium sized lobster. My mouth is watering right now at the memory of this delicious dish.


Casey preparing to eat.

My own, succulent dinner before me.

Honestly, I read the menu wrong, not realizing I was going to get the *whole* lobster and thinking it would be only a tail instead. Imagine my surprise when a bright red lobster on a steaming plate was placed before me. I put on my plastic bib and immediately began to play with my food, joyously puppeteering my future belly-filler and having him "speak" to my dad and Casey across from me.

Immature, I know, but I can't help it. It's not everyday I have a creature like that at my disposal to explore and have fun with. And what a lip-smacking, deliciously tasting creature it was. It was my first ever whole lobster to eat, and I loved every minute of it. Man, the Union Oyster House should be paying me for what I'm writing right now.

After dinner, Dad took a cab home and Casey took me to the oldest pub in America, the Bell in Hand. This was conveniently located right next door at the corner where those two streets I mentioned above meet and join into the road the Union Oyster House sits upon. Casey and I each ordered a beer that came in an unexpectedly large glass, listened to a band cover songs ranging from groups like Guns 'N Roses to Sublime, and generally people-watched.


The Bell in Hand on the left, Union Oyster House offcamera right.

It started raining, but since my dad and I were to leave early in the morning to drive back to Charlotte, this would be my only chance to get a walking tour of Boston, so Casey and I headed out into the city. He led me around the Freedom Trail (a red brick walking trail through the city that leads you past historical buildings and sites), through historical areas and the newer downtown, passing a building that the city's homeless like to use as a sleeping bag slumber party or shantytown at night. We went past some park whose name I forget, around the State House, which movie buffs will know as the gold-domed building that Matt Damon wanted a view of in "The Departed", and to another interesting pub called the 21st Amendment.


The State House

It wasn't very busy but had a cool atmosphere and still managed to feel "old". I'd say that was the best part of what I saw of Boston- it felt historical. It's old, yeah, but it didn't feel old in the dirty and rundown way. Everywhere we walked, I could feel the history around me; old in the good, well-known and famous kind of way.

We had another two drinks, then Casey took me to the nearest subway and we parted ways. It was a fun night; a wet night but fun nontheless. Boston was a cool town, and I hope I can visit it again soon and spend some more time there.




DAY SIX

The next day we drove home to Charlotte. Nothing interesting to note (ie, STILL NO MOOSEN!). We drove past New York City on 95 and saw the skyline from afar. We drove through Washington D.C. and saw the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, and what we think was the President's helicopter, Marine One, fly by as we were on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. After having easy traffic the whole week, we finally ran into gridlock outside Richmond that set us back by an hour, but we still managed to get home safe and sound.

Strange that so much driving, in the end, didn't feel like much at all. I guess the fun of the trip outweighed the time spent in the car.

Great trip, Dad. Thanks for taking me along.

--Cbake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home