Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Trust me- I'm a professional!

A professional what?- that's the question.

Tonight I received a call. A work-related call. You see, back in the summer of '99, before my senior year of high school, I went to the North Carolina School of the Arts (NCSA) for a summer session in filmmaking. While there, I met a kid named Mark Freiburger, who went to Providence high school and was one year below me.

One year later, the summer after I graduated, he and some friends made a short film (a little over an hour); an action film with me as the star, Agent Steve Ratner. At least, I think my name was Steve...
We rented out a local indie-theater, had sold-out screenings, signed ticket stubs, and basically pretended like we were movie gods in Charlotte.

Anyhoo, we've kept in touch, and he just graduated from NCSA this spring. Now he's involved in shooting his very first feature film, which has received funding from Charlotte rich folk/businesses, and has a small distribution deal, as I understand it, with a theater chain set up here in the state.

A month ago he asked me to help out.

And HELL YEAH I will RIDE his coattails into Hollywood! Hopefully this film will get him recognized and win him an agent, and from there he can start shooting commercials and music videos to pass the time, and inevitably help me get up to his level too.

Anyway, the point is, someone called me tonight, like he said someone would 3 weeks ago. The guy, a graduate from NCSA with a concentration in production, said there's an opening for a Set Decorator, which will be my official credit (look for it on imdb.com, and look for Mark while you're there), and there will be a meeting possibly next week among all the department heads to discuss the look of the film.

During our conversation he went on and on about the look he's hoping we will achieve, how there will be about 4 of us in the art department (the Art Director, Prop Master, Set Decorator (me), and his title, whatever that is), and how we will all sort of bleed together, and then he discussed my probable duties.

And of course, I just smile and nod (if only he could see me doing so), offering such apt replies as "uh huh", "sure", and "yeah, of course" to his remarks. Basically, it seems my job will be to determine what kind of props are needed for each set, figure out what kind of furniture would fit well, and then go out and BUY/ship said props and furniture to Edenton, where we will be shooting.

Oh yeah, I can do this. I've done this all before. Pssssh. I know ALLLLL about decorating rooms, interior design, and fung shooey, no problem...

... Riiiiiiiiight.

So, this is the time in my life where I pretend like I know what I'm doing, and act like I'm in control, like I've done this all before, and pray the guy I just talked to on the phone doesn't read my blog religiously.

And if you are reading my blog, have no fear. I know EXACTLY what I'm doing. Exactly...

As for other details, it looks like I'll be starting work the second week of July, shooting is in August, and they will have arranged a place for me to live during that time period. So yep, I'll be moving to Edenton in the next month, I assume, if all goes well.

Wish me luck, look me up if you're in the area, and uh, if you have any old furniture/props that resemble things from the Old South style- lemme know.

--Cbake

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out the mirror leaning against the wall in the living room, you can use it. Look around the house before I start cleaning it out. I believe there is a chair you may be able to use as well.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home