Saturday, May 21, 2005

"The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me."

--Anakin Skywalker


Holeeeeeee Crap. I just got back from seeing Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, after having delay after delay in my plans. I was almost afraid I wasn't going to see it opening weekend (which would have put me in a VERY sour mood).

Unfortunately, I'm going to the beach tomorrow for a week and won't be able to elaborate on my short review, which you can find here:

FLEURKING AWESOME.

Seriously. Awesome. This movie had a much better script, much better acting, much better emotion, much better drama-- it was just MUCH BETTER and therefore TOTALLY AWESOME (sorry for the lack of adjectives other than "awesome", but not much else is needed).

And I had no idea it was going to be that sad either. There are quite a few scenes, without spoiling anything, that might be tear-inducing for certain people (no comment from me). As critical as many were towards John Williams' score for Ep.III after listening to the soundtrack, they have no room to complain when they see how the music is perfectly used in the film to underscore the many somber scenes of death and betrayal.

And what's with everyone drawing these Anti-Bush connections from the movie? There's nothing THERE! Not unless you go in looking for it... As Yoda told Luke in The Empire Strikes Back, you'll find "Only what you take with you."

I'll ramble about this movie if I'm not careful. Again, I'm just so impressed with how much emotion this Episode had. Sure, I have some minor quibbles with the first half. But they're minor. And all the good (of which there is a lot of) faaaar outweighs them.

So, off to the beach for me, where I hope to see Ep.III a second time.

--Cbake

4 Comments:

Blogger LT said...

I concur.

Favorite moments include (but are not limited to):

- R2's comic relief.
- The Jedi purge.
- Yoda totally bleeping OWNING the Crimson Guards in Palpatine's office.
- Skywalker's rage/grief-stricken line "You turned her against me!!"
- Vader's immolation.
- Aw hell, the whole damn movie.

And anyone who starts bringing politics into the film has officially crossed into "I am an attention whore, listen to my opinion" territory.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucas has been judicious with most American press on this subject but at Cannes, he confirmed that while he wrote the film to be critical of Vietnam, it has ended up being a condemnation of Iraq as well:

["I didn't think it was going to get quite this close," he said of the parallels between the Nixon era and the Bush presidency, which has been sacrificing freedoms in the interests of national security.

"It is just one of those re-occuring things. I hope this doesn't come true in our country. Maybe the film will awaken people to the situation of how dangerous it is . . . The parallels between what we did in Vietnam and what we are doing now in Iraq are unbelievable."]

I thought the quotes everyone is talking about were pretty heavy-handed and unnecessarily blatant, so it surprises me when people ignore:

["This is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause," bemoans Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) as the galactic Senate cheers dictator-in-waiting Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) while he announces a crusade against the Jedi.

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy," Hayden Christensen's Anakin — soon to become villain Darth Vader — tells former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). The line echoes Bush's international ultimatum after the Sept. 11 attacks, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."]

Then Obi-Wan says, "Only a Sith speaks in absolutes." I was like, "Did he just call George Bush a Sith?"

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I'm not an attention whore by "bringing politics into the film" - Lucas did that.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Cbake said...

I'll respond to this when I have more time. Long argument short: Bush paraphrased an age old saying "If you're not with me, you're against me" for his own reasons.

So Bush doesn't own the quote. Therefore, I thought it was insipid for everyone to say "He's quoting Bush!!!" as if no one for the rest of history can ever say something along those lines without it being a Dubbya reference.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home