Tuesday, May 10, 2005

"Work sucks. I know."

Welcome back loyal readers! Or I should say, it's good to be back.

My dad did take the computer away last week, yes, but luckily the internet service remains for a few days more, and I now have my crappy, six year old laptop hooked up to it.

I've got a lot of topics to catch you guys up on, but first lemme start with a description of what work has been like the past two weeks.

SHOCK! Wait, did he say... "work"?

Yes, WORK. As in I perform services that are traded to me in the form of money. I've been doing freelance production assistant work for two different commercial shoots. This is how it works: A local production coordinatior/supervisor is hired by an ad agency that wants to shoot a commercial in the area. Said Prod. Sup. then hires local crew and thus local PAs like myself.

This is the kind of job I've been trying to get for 9 months, sending resumes and emails and calling up local companies and getting nothing in return. How did I get this job? A friend of mine couldn't do it and gave the Prod. Sup. my name. She called me, asked if I could do it, and that was it.

She didn't even ask for a resume. And I thought "it's all who you know" only worked out in California.

Anyway, so the job isn't in any specific place (I can't tell you how many people have asked "Where are you working?" after I tell them Im a PA on a few commercial shoots). I only work when there's work to be done and the Prod. Sup. calls me.

So mostly I'd been doing office work at her house. Filing things. Making copies. Or Gopher stuff (go for this, go for that). I'll go out and buy office supplies for the coming production, or maybe assorted teas and bottled waters for the picky director from LA. As the shoot day approaches, I become a "driver" and have to pick up the director and producer from the airport and take them to the hotel. And then take them from the hotel to the shoot. And then from the shoot to the hotel. And then the hotel to the airport. And do it all over again for another group. Back and forth, back and forth.

Blah. I'm bored of talking about this already. And that's not good. If I'm already bored writing this, you're already bored reading this. It's hard to relive, working 12+hrs a day. I wonder what that means psychologically, writing about my life and boring myself in the process...

This is the job in a nutshell: Get up early. Work lots of hours. Drive lots of place. Do WHATEVER they tell you to. And get paid really well for doing so.

I'd say over $1900 for my services sounds good.

--Cbake

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world.
John le Carre (1931 - )
Congratulations - you got away from your "desk" into real life. Work is grand; you get opportunities for service - and then paid for it. Boredom will vanish when you accept the gifts and realize the importance of each task; you are contributing to the bigger picture. Welcome to reality.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the money is good, you're "in the door", and soon enough someone will discover your talen! if an actor cancels suddenly for a shoot you could offer to act, or make directing suggestions. or is that too bold? it worked for mrs. doubtfire. carry on young apprentice, carry on. love, auntie.
ps are you with or without facial hair? i would go for a shave if you are with hair as it can show your range.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home