Monday, March 21, 2005

And the Lord said "Thus your trials are at an End..."

Today marks the 40th day since Lent began, and I've been able to control my temptations and not break my oaths.

You know, I kind of expected the last 15 days or so to be crazy, counting down 'till the end like watching a pot boil.

I thought I'd have insane dreams of supermodels swimming in pools of beer.

But instead, it's been relatively easy. I've had no problem refusing a drink here and there. Last night, however, I had a large steak and shrimp and vegetable and rice dinner with my father, step-family, and brother who had come into town, and I wanted to have some wine to go with it. So I checked the Lent calendar to see just when my 40 days were up, because I knew it was almost time. I counted the days- darn, they don't end 'till Monday, but maaaaaybe I can count the day before Ash Wednesday as the beginning of the 40 days for me?

Nah, I made an oath and I won't break it. But then I looked at the calendar and for some reason, none of the links I googled about "Lent Calendar 2005" mentioned today, monday the 21st of March, as being the last day of Lent. Well why the heck not? I counted 40 days since the beginning, shouldn't today be the end?

Ohhhh no, I read further. Apparently, you're NOT supposed to count the sundays during Lent as a part of the 40 day total. Why? I don't have a good reason.

So oh well, no celebration for me yet. Back to the grind. But no bother. It's pretty easy now.
And when it ends I just might possibly be in Florida to celebrate.

--Cbake

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
Edward Gibbon (1737 - 1794)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Could anyone practicing a Lent "fast" know less about it than you? But you are still a lovable little hobo.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My Grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle."
-Henny Youngman

Just a vote of confidence from your favorite non-drinking drunk.

-D

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home