Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Town that Time Forgot

--Movie Production Update #1

Rolled into Edenton last night a little after 10. Nice place. Tiny. Quaint.

It's like a Norman Rockwell painting here in Edenton. There are no corporations. No Wal-Marts, no Starbucks, no Subways or McDonalds. Just lots of big houses, a tiny main street, families, and racism.

Oh yes, the racism. There is a racial divide in this town apparently, both figuratively and literally. Seriously, the divide is Oakum Street. On one side you have the whites. On the other, you have the blacks. And from what I hear, the rich white people will be sure to tell you not to go to Oakum street. Unless you like getting killed of course.

But that's second hand information I've received from the other people working on the film, so I don't want to ruin Edenton's good name with reports I've not yet experienced.

So far, the town has welcomed the film crew very warmly, offering to help us in any way they can. The hardware store gives us the five-fingered discount when the owner isn't around. All in the name of helping the "big Hollywood production".

Yeah my friend the director, Mark Freiburger, has already been on the cover of the local newspaper (which is so small it only comes out once a week), so everyone here believes it to be a pretty big deal, a film which will be shown around the country, possibly the world, and starrring Hollywood's finest actors.

Haha, we have them so fooled.

When I walked into the local diner today, I could feel everyone staring at me. Yep, it's that kind of town where everyone notices who the strangers are.

Today was spent working on creating a set. I helped sand down some plaster on the walls, then I took apart lots of wooden palletes, board by board, smashing the things to pieces in the process with a hammer/crowbar combo. Good way to get a workout. Good way to get the aggression out.

But damn, it's bloody hot down here. We're building an interior set for a "shanty" in a warehouse out by the Marina, but there is no air conditioning, so the sweat builds up in my hair and drips all over the place.

It looks like I won't actually be doing a lot of searching for props and furniture. I'm working mainly in the Art Department (there are only three of us right now), and currently we are just trying to build this set, using all the wood from the palletes to create a fake, wooden floor, which we later stain so it looks like it was built in the 1800's.

Anyway, that's the quick update for today. Tomorrow's technically our only day off during the week, but I'm sure we'll work until 11:00 PM again. Wheee.

--Cbake

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, there is a possibility that you might get killed on North Oakum, but it's not very big. I think there's only been, like, two people killed there since I left for college.

Oh, and there is a McDonalds by the way. We're not that sheltered.

-Jenn

6:39 AM  
Blogger Cbake said...

Yeah I ate at the Burger King today.

But is that really technically part of Edenton when I have to drive out on 32 to get there?

Sheebus, and is there anything to do here at night? Anywhere else to drink other than the Mexican restaurant? So far we've just been having beers on the porch, jamming out on instruments. Which is fun.

But man, I'm beginning to see why you never want to come back here again.
--Cbake

11:38 PM  
Blogger Cbake said...

I realize what I just said sounds a bit crass. So let me fix it by saying the town is great. It's a great little town.

But I can see why after growing up here, one might be inclined to stay in another "small town" like Chapel Hill (like Jenn has done) instead.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After living a crazy, insane, hectic lifestyle a few more years, settling down in a small, simple beautiful town like Edenton would be Eden.
"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis." Margaret Bonnano
Lizbeth

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not so much that I never want to go back there again. Just not for extended periods of time.

The lunacy of that being that I'm now gonna be spending an inordinate amount of time there in the next month. Damn you, Hollywood.

When I come down next, I'll see if I can find the "club" that's supposedly in Elizabeth City. At least that's something different to do.

-Jenn

10:38 PM  
Blogger Cbake said...

So, you're gonna be a PA on set?

Ahhh yesssssssss! Time to get back to ordering Jenn around!

Just like the good ole days at STV =P.

--Cbake

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Allison and I'm from Edenton. I found your blog when i was in Engish working on a paper.. i was really disapointed in what you had to say about our little town... i was so disturbed by it i read it outloud to my class; everyone was fairly shocked and upset. We are not as bad as what you made us sound. we have a mcdonalds and who needs a starbucks when you have acoustic coffee? did you even take the time to get to meet the people here? i'm assuming that you did not because you made us sound like extreme racists and that we are slowly disappearing as time goes on; the people in edenton are classy and they respect and welcome all people who come into our town to visit... its obvious to me that you dont treat people as well when you go other place. I'm sorry that you dont have the same respect for our town as the bus loads of tourist that roll in every weekend. i hope in happiness in everything you do.

-allison

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry to report "Cbake" but you dont have to get on 32 to get to burger king... 32 leads you out into tyner. buger king happens to be located right beside the mcdonalds which you claimed that edenton lacked. it really annoys me that your trying to make it sound like the people of edenton are kissing you feet and throwing themselves at you just because your part of the movie... ok really your part of the art department FOR the movie. in reality the whole town thinks the movie is a joke and its going to be a flop. is that why ya'll cant get enough extras for the movie so ya'll have to hire people to hand out flyers and put adds in the newspaper but nobody STILL shows up? AND the only reason people notice you when you walk into snookers is because your ego has a way of tripping through the door. you have some kind of chip on your shoulder that makes me think that your cocky... am i right?

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home