Thursday, September 15, 2005

Harry Potter and the Hormones of Destiny

So the new "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" trailer is out, and it looks awesome.

Unfortunately, that's about all I can say because I have to watch it at the library and there is no sound. So yeah, it looks awesome, but I'm sure it sounds better.

While the trailer looks great, there are a few things that are working AGAINST this movie in my mind:

1. The director is Mike Newell, not one who is necessarily known as being visionary or particularly experienced with special effects. Bring back Cuaron (the director of the third movie)!

2. They hired the same visual effects crew who worked on the first two movies (whose effects I thought were okay, but not fantastic), but NOT the crew that worked on the third (which had the BEST effects of the series thus far).

3. John Williams (JAWS, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones, ET, Schindler's List, Close Encounters, etc), the Man who created the themes for Harry Potter, was Oscar-nominated for his work on the first and third movie, and is just an all-around kickass composer, is NOT doing the music for the fourth film. Instead, Patrick Doyle is.

Patrick who, you might be asking? EXACTLY.

No word yet on whether or not he will be using the themes that John Williams created, which is a shame because I felt the score for "Prisoner of Azkaban" was one of his best in a long time. Beautiful themes in that one.

Now for some things that are working FOR this movie:

1. Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort. This guy knows how to act evil. Just watch Schindler's List.

2. Same cast as the past three movies, excluding Dumbledore. Watching these kids grow up into their characters onscreen is a treat, and I hope they never recast.

3. The effects. Despite what I said above, everything looks great on the computer screen when I watch this trailer.

4. Mike Newell, the director. Well, like I said, everything looks great...

5. This is the first Harry Potter movie to receive a PG-13 rating! That alone shows how dark and mature this story is going to be. And if there's one thing I like, it's dark and mature... Please don't read that the wrong way.

And while I haven't read the book and don't really know what's going on, I'm still very much looking forward to seeing this in the fall. In related news, I finished reading "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" while working on the movie in Edenton. I've now begun reading "Prisoner of Azkaban", and hope to finish "Goblet of Fire" before the movie comes out.

My biggest fear is that this series will end before I've had the chance to read all the books, and some kids (like my cousins, no doubt) will end up ruining it all for me. So now I've got to play catchup and jump on the social bandwagon before it's left me for good.

--Cbake

3 Comments:

Blogger Cbake said...

Screw your T-Mobile camera phones! Stop.

I prefer sending my messages by wire! Stop.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't porteray me as a Harry Potter ruiner!
xoxo Allie

8:06 AM  
Blogger Cbake said...

Well, you *were* the one who blurted out to me the character who dies in Order of the Phoenix.

So there!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home