Tuesday, October 04, 2005

When it rains, it pours

Tuesday, Sept. 26

Worked the Will Ferrell NASCAR movie tentatively titled "High Wide and Handsome". Did extras wrangling for 200 people. Saw Will Ferrell coming out of his trailer. Saw John C. Reilly at lunch. Almost bumped into Andy Richter with my lunch tray as we tried to go in and out of the same door. Didn't enjoy it. Stood all day out in the sun away from set. Got burned pretty badly. Got numbers from some girls, but I don't need them. Didn't learn anything. Doesn't matter that it was a Hollywood movie or not, I was still standing outside away from all filmmaking.

Wednesday, Sept. 27

Decided to work one more day despite me saying I wouldn't the day before. I had dinner plans with Jennifer at my grandmothers and didn't want to break them. Also planned to watch "LOST" but knew I'd be late if I decided to work. Got to know more of the extras and crew. Had a better time the second day but still wouldn't really want to do it again. Got to see some filmmaking outside. Saw the actor who plays "Ali G". John C. Reilly was late to set. Had the creator of "Freaks and Geeks", "Undeclared", and the director of "40 Year Old Virgin" ask me whether or not they were shooting inside when I was locking down the front doors. Was momentarily dumbfounded when I realized Judd Apatow was talking to me and didn't answer him right away. I went on a run to make 120 copies at Kinko's when filming ended but wasn't given enough money to pay for it. Jennifer went ahead to my grandmother's without me while I tried to finish up. I got to see just the second half of "LOST" and we had dinner at 9:30. Glad I worked two days. Now I can put it on my resume and maybe get into the credits. My shoes ate holes in the heels of my socks and gave me blisters.

Thursday, Sept. 29

Worked a commercial for DuPont and Tyveck Home Wrap with Jeff Gordon. Enjoyed the shoot because the director/DP likes to shoot fast, doesn't care about airplanes and cars for sound, and he finished the commercial before lunch. Went on a run for M&Ms and M&M dolls afterwards and still had to hang around until 5 because a photo shoot was going on. Got caught in an extremely fast and full downpour as I was taking away trash and pulling up signs. Got completely soaked and then took film to the airport. Jeff Gordon is short and has graying hair.

Friday, Sept. 30

Worked two more Charlotte Bobcats commercials, part of the same ad campaign I worked three weeks ago with Sean May and Raymond Felton. This time the first half of the day was shot uptown with Emeka Okafor. I didn't get to see much filming because I was locking down the set around the corner, keeping townies from walking into the shot. It was cold. Darn weather keeps changing its mind. Didn't get to have a proper lunch because I was told to go to Pike's Soda Shop (our second location) and start blocking off parking spots with cones for crew when they arrive. Ate some awesome honey and pecan fried chicken sporadically while saving parking spots. Nearly averted a disaster involving the RV we use for makeup/costuming, the catering van, and the director's car when we ran out of subsequent parallel parking spaces for the RV to pull into. I got lucky, figured it out, and looked good in front of everyone. Shot the commercial inside with some 7 foot tall European guy named Primoz. I locked down the set outside. The 1st AD from Asheville liked me, and he's in the DGA. Asked if I was opposed to going up to Asheville to work, told him no, so I hope to hear from him soon. Got asked to drive the camera back to Atlanta on monday but luckily I got out of it.

Saturday, Oct. 1

Didn't work. Hung out with Jennifer all day. She cooked us some awesome pasta with pesto sauce for a romantic dinner at home. I told her it tasted great but made the stupid mistake of ruining the mood by saying some of the noodles were hard. I slap my forehead internally and apologize profusely. We go see "The Corpse Bride". Tim Burton rocks. Danny Elfman rocks. The movie rocks but leaves me wanting more. Feels short. Great companion piece to "The Nightmare Before Christmas". Very well done. Awesome imagery. Great company. Lovely piano tunes. I want more songs like that.

Sunday, Oct. 2

Was asked at the last minute by someone I've never worked with before to drive up to Greensboro to drop off a casting DVD. I thought I'd have to do it earlier, but she called later than she said she would. I was afraid I wouldn't get home in time to watch "The Simpsons". My car was still in the shop, but I had my father's car, but he was coming back into town that afternoon and wanted to pick it up. Luckily, the coordinator who asked me to do this trip let me use her car. My dad called and wanted to get dinner at 7 PM, but I didn't think I'd get home until closer to 7:30. Left Charlotte at 3:45 PM. Got back to Charlotte at 6:50 PM. Spent half an hour talking on the phone and waiting for details in Greensboro. I think that's great time. I get home, call my dad and hope to meet him for dinner at 7, but he never calls back. Just shows up after 9 to pick up the car. I call Jennifer and hope to watch "Simpsons" and "Family Guy" with her, but she has other plans and doesn't call back until 10. I sit on the couch for a few hours and vege out.

--Cbake

PS: I turned on Word Verification when you leave a comment to prevent these blasted spammers from ruining what respect my blog has left. Blasted spammers. They beat me to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home