Tuesday, January 04, 2005

2005- The Year it All Changes

Lemme see a show of hands, who really (and I mean really) follows their New Year's Resolutions to the end?

"I resolve to stop smoking."
"I resolve to stop drinking."
"I resolve to focus more on my studies."
"I resolve to lose 17 pounds."
"I resolve to perfect my voodoo skills."

Give me a break, it's all bullocks. We all know just about everyone gives up by the third week. Come February and everyone's forgotten whatever promises they made themselves late in the last year.

People get excited about the New Year because it's like a new beginning, and in a sense, it literally is. People think that because it is a new year, you can be a new person. That through hard work and a little magic pixie dust sprinkled by the New Year's Baby on his way to sit next to Father Time, you can be a totally different person than you were a week ago. But no matter how hard we try, most of us end up reverting back to our old selves.

It's funny. Most of us fear change, we hate it. And yet everyone has something they wish they could change about themselves. And the New Year gives them hope.

"Ah, hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness. " We hope we'll be different. We hope to be better.

So we make resolutions, hoping this will prompt us further on our way to bettering ourselves. We get tired of our old self, the vices that person had, the idiosyncracies that annoyed him/her or others around them. I guess I find it fascinating that such a simple concept, a human-contructed idea of the passage of time within a "year", can make people that self-aware and create a desire for change. It's like you go a whole year thinking about what you don't like about yourself, but it's not until December 28th that you actually start considering what to do to change it all.

All that said, here are my "New Year's Resolutions", which no doubt will be forgotten in a month.

I resolve to write a third draft of my first script from last year.
I resolve to finish my second script that I started three months ago.
I resolve to finish my children's book and work on the illustrations.
I resolve to send that children's book to a literary agent.
I resolve to work on my animated cartoon.
I resolve to find a job and get off my butt.
I resolve to workout a little bit more, but that will take more work once the YMCA membership is cancelled by my father.
I resolve to not get as overweight as the Cbake below.

Let's hope it works.
--Cbake



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the way you write!
you must get the attention of the local paper to get your column "single in the city" off and running. you definitely have the gift to express thoughts in print.
i really do love the way you write!
love, aunt linda
ps i am serious!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
George Eliot (1819 - 1880)

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember to always say what you mean. If you love someone, tell them. Don't be afraid to express yourself. Reach out and tell someone what they mean to you. Because when you decide that it is the right time it might be too late. Seize the day. Never have regrets. And most importantly, stay close to your friends and family, for they have helped make you the person that you are today.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Cbake said...

Trent: The answer is-- Far too many.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey it's Meredith!! okay, i'm curious about some things. If i had graduated in May 2004 and by January 2005 still did not have a job, my parents would freaking kill me. Well, not kill me, but they would kick me out of the house at the very least. Keep in mind that they wouldn't care if i was a bagger at Harris Teeter so long as I had a job. So, are you being picky about what job you'll take? Are you actually looking?? Aren't your parents really mad at you? Isn't there some job you can take temporarily until you find something you really want to do, like waiting tables or retail? answer answer answer!

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chris has been doing a nice job for me lately as our nanny. he's really very good w/ kids, and since he is unemployed, always available!
hey chris, keep feb 10-17 open.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Cbake said...

Yeah, I've been playing "Mr. Mom" a lot lately.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home