Tuesday, April 12, 2005

First we win the NCAA National Championship in Men's basketball, then Miss USA. Could North Carolina be having... The Best Week EVER?

North Carolina rules. All other states must bow down before our awesomeness.

Illinois? Think you're tough? Get lost. I find it funny that for the second week in a row, North Carolina has bested Illinois in the finals; first in basketball, then in the Miss USA pageant (NC and Illinois were in the NCAA Championships and both in the Final Five for Miss USA).

Why? Because we rock, obviously, despite our cancer-creating cash crops. California came close to winning, and they are quite the cool state, an assessment based on my short time there, and Miss California was quite the hottie.

But alas, not as hot as Miss North Carolina, the smokin' Chelsea Cooley, the Tar Heel state's very first Miss USA.


NC's pride and joy.


Looks like she forgot to throw away her powered doughnut.

Oh wait, what's that? She's from Charlotte?
Booyah.
And wait a sec, I went to middle school with her too? Well hot damn, I just got even more invested in tonight's events. Yeah, we went to J.T. Williams Middle school together. Yeah, even back then she was one of the "hot girls", even though she was in my brother's age group and not mine. Yeah, I wish I could say she'd remember me instead of my brother. His class had all the hot chicks. The punk.


Passing out Realy For Life information

Now if I run into her in a bar or a museum or a gas station or other social gathering here in Charlotte, my strategy is to pretend like I don't know she's Miss USA. Afterall, I was completely clueless about the fact that it was on tonight, and I wasn't even sure if Chelsea was Miss North Carolina this year or last year. So when we start chatting, I'll pretend to be blissfully ignorant and just bring up the fact that we went to middle school together, and from there we'll take a sweet walk down Nostalgia Lane.

Oh yes. That strategy will toooootally work.

Anyway, I had planned on including a picture from that yearbook from way-back-when on today's blog post as a comparison photo, but I think that particular item is packed away in some storage unit. If I find it, you'll see it.

And expect pics from Chapel Hill's massive celebration to pop up this week too.

And so I leave you with the words of the wise Petey Pablo:
"North Carolina, come on and raise up. Take your shirt off, swish it around your head- spin it like a helicopter."

Hmmm, yes. Eloquently put indeed.

--Cbake

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should add meeting chelsea to your "i need" list.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home